It is a political goal to maintain an active agricultural sector throughout the country. The County Governor must help to implement national agricultural policy through information, the administration of resources and measures tailored to local needs. These responsibilities include:
- giving advice and assistance to municipalities
- monitoring municipalities
- handling appeals against municipal decisions relating to agricultural legislation
- working with other regional bodies and organisations for business development within agriculture and forestry
- working to achieve national objectives for the transition to organic farming
- working to limit the abandonment of cultivated and cultivable soil and forestland
The County Governor also offers guidance to municipalities, organisations, business actors and farms concerning opportunities available to them in the state system. The County Governor supports activities linked to the development and preservation of regional food cultures, knowledge-building relating to food and a knowledge of food and health, especially activities aimed at children and young people.