Scattering of ashes

Should you wish for your ashes to be scattered, you can apply directly to the County Governor for permission for this. It is generally permitted to scatter ashes on the open sea or in the mountains. Applications should be sent to the County Governor of the county in which you would like your ashes to be scattered. You must be aged 15 or over to apply.

Surviving family members can also apply for permission to scatter ashes, if it can be documented that these were the deceased’s wishes. Parents can apply for permission to scatter the ashes of deceased children under 18 years of age.

Private burial sites

Permission to have a private burial site can only be obtained if the burial site is of particular public interest – for example, if it was founded in connection with an institution that was established in close relation to the deceased’s life, artistic or scientific work or other activity.